Monday, December 14, 2009

Journalistic blunder or...?

Our report of October 11, 2009 heralded a possible “cousin” relationship between the Galey family of Whitney, Nebraska in the last half of the 20th century and the “Gealy” Mathis family of Chadron. Still an unlikely scenario, it fell in to my “Who’d-a-thunk it” category.

Noticing that it’s been a while since I rattled the cage of Galey research, I started foraging through my too-fat and unorganized file of the Galey family papers and happened across the news clipping shown here. It’s a front-page story from the Friday, August 2, 1929 edition of the Chadron (Nebr) Journal, reporting the death of a John Galey, stricken while fossil hunting north of Chadron.

My earlier memory of a “Gealy” spelling in this story proved wrong. But I’m not convinced that the newspaper got the spelling correct, especially if the Mr. Galey of Gordon described in the story was a member of the “Gealy” clan up in Sheridan County. You can click on the image at left to see a larger version of this story.

A bit more research is necessary. These Galeys are a slippery lot.

No comments: